For the one on the left, I used an image from Lisa's Altered Art, some rubber stamps, punches and a scrap of patterned paper at the bottom. The strips of paper were glued on vertically. For the one of the right, I glued the strips horizontally. A friend gave me the old photo and I used a postage stamp, some German scrap along the bottom, and a butterfly from Mary's Vintage Gluebook class. Distress the edges of both with the distress tool by Tim Holtz and some distress ink.
This is an ongoing class - you can sign up anytime if you are interested. Very informative and a fun Flickr group to share your creations. Mary is very generous with collage sheets for her classes, also.
Thanks for stopping by.